Professor Alina Tryfonidou currently convenes and teaches the following modules:
- LLB: Foundations of EU Law
- LLB: EU Law
- LLM: The European Internal Market and Economic Governance.
Areas of interest
Professor Tryfonidou's main research interests lie in EU law (especially free movement law) and the protection of LGBT+ rights. She is a frequent speaker at international conferences and has been invited to speak at, inter alia, the universities of Oxford, Ghent, Cambridge, Lund, Groningen, Edinburgh, Copenhagen, Durham, Oslo, Bristol, and VU Amsterdam.
She has, also, been invited to speak before the European Parliament (the PETI committee) and to give guest lectures at events organised by the European Parliament's LGBTI Intergroup, the Academy of European Law (ERA), the European Institute of Public Administration (EIPA), and ILGA-Europe.
In addition to monographs, chapters in edited volumes, and articles in academic journals, Professor Tryfonidou has contributed chapters in reports and studies commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth and by the European Commission.
Moreover, she has co-authored a report on obstacles to the free movement rights of rainbow families in the EU commissioned by the European Parliament PETI committee, and she has written two research reports for NELFA. Her work has been cited by several Advocates General before the European Court of Justice.
Postgraduate supervisionProfessor Tryfonidou welcomes proposals from prospective doctoral students with an interest in EU law and LGBT+ rights.
Professor Alina Tryfonidou has been Professor of Law since 2018. She began her academic career in 2007, as Lecturer in Law at the University of Leicester. She subsequently joined the University of Reading as Lecturer in Law in September 2011 and was promoted to Associate Professor in EU law in 2013.
Professor Tryfonidou obtained her LLB (2001), LLM (2002) and PhD (2008) from King's College London, where she also taught European law as Visiting Tutor (2005–2007) and Visiting Lecturer (2010–2011).
She has been an Associate of King's College (AKC) since 2008, a non-practising member of the Cyprus Bar since 2003, a Fellow of the Centre of European Law at King's College London since 2007, and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) since 2016.
In 2004, Professor Tryfonidou completed a traineeship (stage) at the European Commission (DG MARKT – now DG GROW), and in 2010–2011 she was an IALS Visiting Fellow.
- Tryfonidou, A. ORCID: 0000-0003-0639-0356 (2020) Case C-507/18 NH v Associazione Avvocatura per i diritti LGBTI – Rete Lenford: homophobic speech and EU anti-discrimination law. Maastricht Journal of European and Comparative Law , 27 (4). pp. 513-521. ISSN: 1023-263X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1023263X20946535
- Tryfonidou, A. (2020) Law and sexual minority rights in the EU: navigating a political minefield. In: Cardwell, P. and Grainger, M. , (eds.) Research Handbook on the Politics of EU Law. Edward Elgar pp. 204-223. ISBN: 9781788971270
- Tryfonidou, A. (2020) Positive state obligations under European Law: a tool for achieving substantive equality for sexual minorities in Europe. Erasmus Law Review , 13 (3). pp. 98-112. ISSN: 2210-2671 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.5553/ELR.000149
- Tryfonidou, A. (2020) The parenting rights of same-sex couples under European law. Marriage, Families and Spirituality , 25 (2). pp. 176-194. ISSN: 2593-0486 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.2143/INT.25.2.3287505
- Tryfonidou, A. (2020) EU law and the right of Rainbow Families to move freely between EU Member States. In: Hamilton, F. and Noto la Diega, G. , (eds.) Same-Sex Relationships, Law and Social Change. Routledge pp. 150-167. ISBN: 9780367076092
- Tryfonidou, A. (2019) Rainbow families and EU free movement law. In: Bergamini, E. and Ragni, C. , (eds.) Fundamental Rights and Best Interests of the Child in Transnational Families. Intersentia , Cambridge. pp. 75-96. ISBN: 9781780686653
- Tryfonidou, A. (2019) The ECJ recognises the right of same-sex spouses to move freely between EU Member States: the Coman ruling. European Law Review , 44 (5). pp. 663-679. ISSN: 0307-5400
- Tryfonidou, A. (2019) Introductory note to Relu Adrian Coman and others v. Inspectoratul General Pentru Imigrari and Ministerul Afacerilor Interne. International Legal Materials , 58 (4). pp. 823-836. ISSN: 1930-6571 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1017/ilm.2019.34
- Tryfonidou, A. (2019) The EU top court rules that married same-sex couples can move freely between EU Member States as “spouses”: case C-673/16, Relu Adrian Coman, Robert Clabourn Hamilton, Asociaţia Accept v Inspectoratul General pentru Imigrări, Ministerul Afacerilor Interne. Feminist Legal Studies , 27 (2). pp. 211-221. ISSN: 0966-3622 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10691-019-09397-z
- Tryfonidou, A. (2019) EU free movement law and the children of rainbow families: children of a lesser God?. Yearbook of European Law , 38 pp. 220-266. ISSN: 2045-0044 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/yel/yez001
- Tryfonidou, A. (2018) The impact of the framework equality directive on the protection of LGB persons and same-sex couples from discrimination under EU law. In: Belavusau, U. and Henrard, K. , (eds.) EU Anti-Discrimination Law beyond Gender. Hart Publishing pp. 229-248. ISBN: 9781509915019
- Tryfonidou, A. (2018) EU law. In: Auchmuty, R. , (eds.) Great Debates in Gender and Law. Palgrave Great Debates in Law Palgrave Macmillan , Basingstoke. pp. 71-81. ISBN: 9781137610997
- Tryfonidou, A. (2018) The legal position of LGBT persons and same-sex couples in Cyprus. The Cyprus Review , 29 (1). pp. 183-213. ISSN: 2547-8974
- Tryfonidou, A. (2017) Another failed opportunity for the effective protection of the rights of same-sex couples under EU law: Parris v Trinity College Dublin and Others. Anti-Discrimination Law Review , 2 (2). pp. 83-95.
- Tryfonidou, A. (2017) Free movement of persons provisions through the lenses of “discrimination” and “restriction”. In: Andenas, M. , Bekkedal, T. , Pantaleo, L. , (eds.) The reach of free movement. T.M.C. Asser Press , Hague. pp. 57-84. ISBN: 9789462651944
- Tryfonidou, A. (2017) Citizenship-for-sale schemes and EU law: can third-country nationals buy their way into becoming subjects of EU law?. In: Bardutzky, S. and Fahey, E. , (eds.) Framing the Subjects and Objects of Contemporary EU law . Edward Elgar , Cheltenham. pp. 145-157. ISBN: 9781786435736
- Tryfonidou, A. (2017) Discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation and gender identity. In: Vogenauer, S. and Weatherill, S. , (eds.) General principles of law: European and comparative perspectives. Studies of the Oxford Institute of European and Comparative Law Hart Publishing , Oxford. pp. 365-394. ISBN: 9781509910717
- Tryfonidou, A. (2017) The federal implications of the transformation of the market freedoms into sources of rights for the Union citizen. In: Kochenov, D. , (eds.) EU Citizenship and Federalism - The Role of Rights. Cambridge University Press , Cambridge. pp. 316-340. ISBN: 9781107072701 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1017/9781139680714
- Tryfonidou, A. (2017) Investment residence in the UK: past and future. Investment Migration Policy Briefs ISSN: 2504-1541
- Tryfonidou, A. (2016) The impact of Union citizenship on the EU's market freedoms. Modern Studies in European Law Hart Publishing , Oxford. pp 288. ISBN: 9781849461672
- Tryfonidou, A. (2016) The Léger ruling as another example of the ECJ’s disappointingly reticent approach to the protection of the rights of LGB persons under EU law. European Law Review , 41 (1). pp. 91-104. ISSN: 0307-5400
- Tryfonidou, A. (2015) EU free movement law and the legal recognition of same-sex relationships: the case for mutual recognition. Columbia Journal of European Law , 21 (2). pp. 195-248. ISSN: 1076-6715
- Tryfonidou, A. (2014) The notions of 'restriction' and 'discrimination' in the context of the free movement of persons provisions: from a relationship of interdependence to one of (almost complete) independence. Yearbook of European Law , 33 (1). pp. 1-32. ISSN: 2045-0044 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/yel/yeu023
- Tryfonidou, A. (2013) (Further) Signs of a Turn of the Tide in the CJEU's Citizenship Jurisprudence: Case C-40/11, Iida, Judgment of 8 November 2012. Maastricht Journal of European and Comparative Law , 20 pp. 302-320. ISSN: 1023-263X
- Tryfonidou, A. (2013) Free movement of workers and union citizens. In: Neergaard, U. , van de Gronden, J. , Szyszczak, E. , Krajewski, M. , (eds.) Social Services of General Interest in the EU. Legal Issues of Services of General Interest T.M.C. Asser Press , The Hague, The Netherlands. pp. 161-183. ISBN: 9789067048750
- Tryfonidou, A. (2012) Redefining the outer boundaries of EU Law: the Zambrano, McCarthy and Dereci trilogy. European Public Law , 18 (3). pp. 493-526. ISSN: 1354-3725
- Tryfonidou, A. (2011) The impact of EU law on nationality laws and migration control in the EU's member states. Journal of Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Law , 25 (4). pp. 358-379. ISSN: 1746-7632
- Tryfonidou, A. (2011) The overseas application of the customs duties provisions of the FEU Treaty: first, tentative, steps towards the resolution of the reverse discrimination conundrum. In: Kochenov, D. , (eds.) EU Law of the Overseas: Outermost Regions, Associated Overseas Countries and Territories, Territories Sui Generis. European Monographs Series Set Kluwer Law International , The Hague. pp. 221-244. ISBN: 9789041134455
- Tryfonidou, A. (2011) Resolving the reverse discrimination paradox in the area of customs duties: the Lancry saga. European Business Law Review , 22 (3). pp. 311-336. ISSN: 0959-6941
- Tryfonidou, A. (2010) The free movement of goods, the overseas countries and territories, and the EU's outermost regions: some problematic aspects. Legal Issues of Economic Integration , 37 (4). pp. 317-338. ISSN: 1566-6573
- Tryfonidou, A. (2010) Further steps on the road to convergence among the market freedoms. European Law Review , 35 (1). pp. 36-56. ISSN: 0307-5400
- Tryfonidou, A. (2009) Purely internal situations and reverse discrimination in a Citizens' Europe: time to "reverse" reverse discrimination?. In: Xuereb, P. , (eds.) Issues in Social Policy: A New Agenda. Jean Monnet Seminar Series Progress Press , Valletta. pp. 11-29. ISBN: 97899990967531
- Tryfonidou, A. (2009) The outer limits of Article 28 EC: purely internal situations and the development of the Court's approach through the years. In: Barnard, C. and Odudu, O. , (eds.) The Outer Limits of European Union Law. Hart , Oxford. pp. 197-224. ISBN: 9781841138602
- Tryfonidou, A. (2009) Family reunification rights of (migrant) union citizens: towards a more liberal approach. European Law Journal , 15 (5). pp. 634-653. ISSN: 1468-0386 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-0386.2009.00482.x
- Tryfonidou, A. (2009) In search of the aim of the free movement of persons provisions: has the Court of Justice missed the point?. Common Market Law Review , 46 (5). pp. 1591-1620. ISSN: 0165-0750
- Tryfonidou, A. (2009) Reverse discrimination in EC law. European Monographs Kluwer Law International , Alphen aan den Rijn. pp 292. ISBN: 9789041127518
- Tryfonidou, A. (2008) Reverse discrimination in purely internal situations: an incongruity in a Citizens' Europe. Legal Issues of Economic Integration , 35 (1). pp. 43-67. ISSN: 1566-6573
- Tryfonidou, A. (2007) Was 'Keck' a half-baked solution after all?. Legal Issues of Economic Integration , 34 (2). pp. 167-182. ISSN: 1566-6573
- Tryfonidou, A. (2007) Jia or 'Carpenter II': the edge of reason. European Law Review , 32 pp. 908-918. ISSN: 0307-5400
- Tryfonidou, A. (2006) Annotation of case C-293/02: Jersey Produce Marketing Organisation Ltd v. States of Jersey and Jersey Potato Export Marketing Board. Common Market Law Review , 43 (6). pp. 1727-1742. ISSN: 0165-0750
- Tryfonidou, A. (2005) Redefining the notion of belonging in a Citizens' Europe: The Queen (on the application of Dany Bidar) v. London Borough of Ealing and Secretary of State for Education and Skills'. Irish Journal of European Law , 12 pp. 217-232. ISSN: 0791-5403
- Tryfonidou, A. (2005) Carbonati Apuani Srl v. Comune di Carrara: should we reverse "reverse discrimination"?. King's College Law Journal , 16 (2). pp. 373-381. ISSN: 0961-5768
- Tryfonidou, A. (2005) C-200/02: Kunqian Catherine Zhu and Man Lavette Chen v. Secretary of State for the Home Department: further cracks in the "Great Wall" of the European Union?. European Public Law , 11 (4). pp. 527-541. ISSN: 1354-3725
- Tryfonidou, A. (2003) Mary Carpenter v. Secretary of State for the Home Department: the beginning of a new era in the European Union?. King's College Law Journal , 14 (1). pp. 81-86. ISSN: 0961-5768