Areas of interest
My research interests fall within the broad field of Digital Law. Specifically, I am fascinated by:
- Data protection and privacy law, especially data processing activity and cross-border data transfers
- Genomic data, big health data and wearable IoT devices
- Copyright law and AI
- Medical law, especially consent to medical treatment and scientific research
- Internet intermediaries and AI
Currently teaches the following LLB modules:
- Intellectual Property Law
- Public Law II
- Legal Skills
- Medical Law
Also teaches the following LLM modules:
- Intellectual Property Law: Copyright and Designs
- Internet Law
- Data Protection and Privacy Law
Research centres and groups
Awards and honours
Modern Law Review (2020-2021): £5,000
British Council (2017-2018): £29,000
Professional bodies/affiliationsInternational Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Bak, Basak, “Artificial Intelligence” in Futurist Law, Aristo, Istanbul, 2018, (ISBN: 9786052332382).
- Bak, Basak, "The Right-of-Way under Electronic Communications Law as a Special Kind of Personal Servitude", AUHFD, Vol. 67/4, 2018.
- Bak, Basak, "The Legal Status of Artificial Intelligence with Regard to Civil Law and the Liability Thereof", TAAD, Vol. 35, 2018, pp. 211-232, (ISSN: 13096826).
- Bak, Basak, "Enforcement and Implementation of Provisions Concerning Suretyship and Standard Business Terms in the New Turkish Code of Obligations Numbered 6098", Law &Justice Review, Vol. 16, 2018, pp. 21 – 33, (ISSN:1309-9485).
- Bak, Basak, "A Review on Divergent Approaches Concerning Moral Rights of Authors in Continental European and Anglo-Saxon Legal Systems", Terazi, V. 140, Nisan 2018, pp. 14 – 23, (ISSN: 1306-9802).
- Bak, Basak, "Knowledge of Cuisine: Intellectual Property Protection in the Turkish Food Sector", Research Journal of Business and Management, Vol. 4/2, July 2017, pp. 141 – 147, (ISSN 2148- 6689).
- Bak, Basak, “The Right of Withdrawal in Distance Contracts under Law on Consumer Protection Numbered 6502”, Law & Justice Review, Vol. 11, 29 February 2016, pp. 129 – 143, (ISSN 1309-9485).
- Bak, Basak, The Right of Withdrawal in Copyright Contracts, Turhan, Ankara, 2016, (ISBN: 9786053130246).
- Bak, Basak, “Patentability under Turkish Patent Law According to the Decree Law No. 551 on the Protection of Patent Rights”, Procedia – Social and Behavioural Sciences, Vol. 195, 3 July 2015.
- Bak, Basak, "The New Provisions and A Review Regarding Publishing Agreement Prescribed by the Turkish Code of Obligations Numbered 6098”, TBBD, Vol. 25/101, 2012, (ISSN 1304-2408).
- Bak, Basak, “Compulsory Patent Licensing for Pharmaceuticals”, Ankara Barosu Dergisi, Vol. 69/3, 2011, (ISSN: 13009885).
- Bak, Basak, "Stock Market Option Contracts", AUSBF, V. 64/4, 2009, (ISSN 1309-1034).
- Bak, B. (2022) Reviving a European idea: author’s right of withdrawal and the right to be forgotten under the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). SCRIPTed - A Journal of Law, Technology & Society , 19 (1). ISSN: 1744-2567 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.2966/scrip.190122.120